Growth Mindset

I had never heard of Carol Dweck, but i really liked her perspective, it was unique but pretty spot on for my generation and the generation after me. I am very much a big picture thinker and i feel her way is always looking forward, at the big picture.

One thing I really related to is when she talked about how in a study when kids would take a test... "after a failure, they looked for someone who did worse than they did so they could feel really good about themselves." I used to do this all the time in middle/high school. I hate test and was never any good at taking them, i remember when i didn't do so hot I would look to see what my friends got, hoping it was the same or below mine so I wouldn't feel as bad for my bad test score. Since being at OU, I have been able to take course that are geared toward my major of Public Relations, which is more project based rather than tests. I learned how I have to study and how I get my work done in an efficient way, that works for ME. I also like how this course it set up, very unique but designed for the students. I have one other professor do something similar. He studied Gen Z (and the other generations before that he taught) and learned how that generations functions best. For example, he turned it class into a blended course, one day in person and one day online work. He understood that the majority of Gen Z liked having in person contact with their professor but also liked being independent and able to do work at home online, not having to go in everyday. He took surveys from our class to best understand and help us grow the best he could and i loved and appreciated that a lot. 

I liked this picture from Twitter because it's simple but true. If you don't fail, you do not learn to get back up and try again, which is a huge and important lesson in life. 

ImageFailure is success in progress 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to My Life

Week 5 Story: Ramsey Bolton and Theon Greyjoy