Week 5 Story: Ramsey Bolton and Theon Greyjoy

Ramsey Bolton and Theon Greyjoy

Everyday, Ramsey demanded his prisoner, Theon Greyjoy, go across the bridge and fetch dinner for Ramsey and his hound dogs. For over two years since his capture by the psychotic, bastard son, Ramsey Bolton, Theon had been beaten, abused and brainwashed to answer to the name of "Reek."

After two years, Theon had enough, he had to find a way to get back home to his family, the Iron Islands. He put a plan together to lure Ramsey to a place no one would be able to hear him scream or come looking for him after Theon's plan was executed.   

Once day, Theon finally gained the courage, he took his sweet time to get across the bridge. 

When he returned, Ramsey shouted "Reek, why are you late?" 

"I am sorry my lord," nervously said Theon. "I saw ghost of Robb Stark and I was frightened." 

"Show me!" Ramsey commanded. "My hounds will follow as protection." 

Theon took Ramsey and his hounds across the bridge, walked for six miles to a well. "I saw him inside the well when I was fetching for the water," said Theon. Ramsey looked over the ledge and into the well. Theon then pushed him into the well and he drowned. 

Looking down the well to see nothing but darkness, Theon whispered, "and you will never hurt another Greyjoy again."

Author's Note: 

The Lion and the Rabbit: https://microfables.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-rabbit-and-angry-lion.html

I took the story "The Lion and the Rabbit" and twisted to fit my Game of Thrones theme. I used the power the Lion had over the other animals and used it as Ramsey's power over Theon. Rewriting the end of the story, instead of the Lion/Ramsey seeing himself, I choose to have Theon gain the strength to push him into the well. It was a little different they the original but the bad guy always loses. 




Comments

  1. Hi Nicole!
    I really loved your version of The Lion and the Rabbit! I especially love that you tied in such a huge, very well known, and incredibly awesome TV show. I was really intrigued by the early change in Theon's character and how it's so different then the actual show. Anyone who loves Game of Thrones as much as we do will probably remember how insanely terrified Theon was of Ramsey and how he couldn't muster the courage to escape from him for years! So, other lovers of the show will probably find this super interesting as well! I totally understand how Theon would have to lure Ramsey away to get rid of him, but I wonder how Theon was able to keep Ramsey's hounds calm because they're insanely obedient and loyal to Ramsey in the show! What if Theon gets rid of them somehow along the way? Anyway, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole! This week I am trying out the WWW strategy for comment feedback. I loved that you were able to transform this folk tale into a scene from a popular show! i could see Ramsey and Theon interacting in my head, and ahhh poor Reek...first let me say wow! I loved your choice of setting and characters for this. I think it helped that I have seen Game of Thrones--which was why I was initially intrigued by your story. Knowing the characters and the world of Westeros, the imagery you used in your writing was brilliant! I felt like I was watching the scene from your writing. I wonder how Ramsey's hounds would have reacted if they saw Theon kill their master? I feel like Theon might be mauled by the dogs or even killed. What if Theon had already thought of that as well beforehand? It seems as though he has made a detailed plan, I bet he would have accounted for the hounds as well. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole!
    I love that you found a creative way to retell the story using characters from another world of lore. I'm a big fan of this show, and I thought Ramsey and Theon was a really interesting plot point. Ramsey is one of the most intense villains in television, in my opinion, and to mirror the lion's complete power in him is a really great take! I understood the relationship between the two characters, and why Theon eventually decided to fight back, but it seemed sudden. I wondered what event made him finally snap after two years. Perhaps including a specific event or turning point for his character would add some context and connect is Reek-self with his Theon-self. Maybe his sister could show up (which I think happens in the show?) or he could remember a vivid memory to stir his courage up again. This may smoothen out that small gap. Overall, though, I enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole!
    I love the Game of Thrones and the creative way that you made a folktale fit the story of game of thrones in a way that works really well for anyone who has seen or read the books or not. I also really appreciate how if someone has seen the show that they has a guess how this story could end. I really like the ending but it seemed a little quick is there anything you could do to just make it a little but longer. I would recommend also maybe getting another character from game of thrones or maybe using meat to turn the hounds against Ramsey or maybe have Sansa watch this all happen. Seriously this was a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I have never read or watched Game of Thrones so I may not have got every intricacy, but I still enjoyed reading your story. Your use of dialogue and detail was very good, and I love your writing style. I liked the ending, and thought it was a positive and creative twist to the original.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to My Life